Monday, February 6, 2012

#10. Drink'in The Sunbelt - Jester King Brewery & Mikkeller

Tonight's drink is a collaboration between Austin-based Jester King and the Danish brewer Mikkeller. This is the first effort between the 2 and both are known for ignoring boundaries.

At 4.2 ABV this is a low-alcohol session beer. It is also bottle refermented which was evident by the nice "pfftt" when I pop the top. There is also quite a bit of head with larger bubbles.

The aroma is slightly piney with some funkiness to it, almost like an old towel. The funky towel smell goes away and some orange emerges, almost like an orange candy.

On the tongue there is a sour orange flavor and the hop bitterness coats the mouth. A slight lime flavor comes through at the end. The lively carbonation keeps the hoppiness in check.

This is a different kind of wheat beer which was expected from these 2 brewers. At first I didn't think think I would like this one, but the more I drink the more I am warming up to it. I am not sure this would be my first choice for a summer wheat refresher, but it would be something to consider when I am looking for a little bit different. 89 out of 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment