Sunday, February 5, 2012

#9. Organic Hefeweizen - Brauerei Pinkus Mueller

I was at Central Market the other day looking for something different when I came across this one. A route salesman from a local distributor was there stocking the beer case and tried to steer me to the Banana Bread beer, but somehow that didn't pique my interest.

The first thing about this beer is the organic label. I try and buy organic foods whenever possible, but after trying several organic wines I have come to the conclusion that organic beverages are on the gimmicky side. Whereas I think organic apples make a better apple, organic beer and wine do not. Let's see if this one steers me a different direction.

This beer pours into the glass a little darker than pale with a very short living head. When I see unfiltered I think cloudy of course, but this one isn't so much cloudy as it is just a little opaque. On the nose is some slight citrus and some yeast, along with a little bit of honey and some grassy notes.

On the palate this is a light bodied beer that almost tastes flat. I've had a few other German hefes, so I don't think this is indicative of the style. I like a little more fizz with my wheats because I find them more refreshing that way. Flat can also be applied to the flavor profile - nothing really stands out. This is 60% wheat which will make it very light flavored, almost too light. There is some lemon on the back of the palate and a little hit of hops and sourness.

This is not an easy drinking beer because I am finding the flatness hard to overcome. German hefes are not supposed to be fruited like American ones, but a slice of orange would probably perk this one up a bit. Not my favorite hefe - 83 out of 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment