After a week off, it's time to get back to drinking! Today's beer is a German pilsner called Kulmbacher Edelherb.
I have never truly appreciated this style mostly because I associated it with American beers. The label for Miller Lite says "True Pilsner Taste" which is just marketing. The flavor of this pilsner is so far removed from typical American lagers that companies like Miller should be charged with false advertising.
This beer pours a very pale, straw color with a good amount of head. On the nose there is what I think is the distinctive smell of a pilsner - mild grain with a slight hop backbone. There is a very crispness to the smell as it is very clean. It doesn't linger much, but you instantly know this is a pilsner. I also detect a little flowery perfume, almost like a lavender or honeysuckle but again it doesn't linger.
On the palate this has classic pilsner flavor. You get the earthiness of the malt with the punch of the hops, paired with delightful effervescence. The good thing about true pilsner is that it is a light style, but packs good flavor. Again the taste is crisp & clean and completely refreshing. This would be an ideal summer beer.
I think this is a great example of a pilsner, true pilsner. I had this one with a thin crust cheese pizza tonight and it was a great pairing. You should be able to drink this one with burgers, pizza, & spicy chicken wings. 90 out of 100.

No comments:
Post a Comment